Bullards Beach State Park

Park History

The park was acquired between 1962 and 1985 by purchase from various owners, including the U. S. Bureau of Land Management. The Coquille River Lighthouse, built by the U. S. Coast Guard in 1896 and operated until 1939, sits at the confluence of the river and ocean. The Bullard family were early settlers in the Bandon area. Robert Bullard established a store and post office at the mouth of the Coquille River and operated a ferry, which crossed the river near the present bridge on U.S. 101.

Acreage: 1,289.32

Annual overnight attendance: 103,458

Annual day-use attendance: 511,848

Bullards Beach State Park FAQ


How far is the campground from the beach?

The main campground at Bullards Beach is located 3/4 of a mile as the crow flies from the beach.  This provides protection from the occasionally strong ocean breezes the Southern Oregon Coast is known for.  Two trails offer access to the beach from the campground.  The Beach Trail is an easy paved/ bark-chipped 1 1/4 mile trail suitable for bikes that offers excellent views of the Coquille River as it transects the day use portion of the park.  Pearl's Trail, named for a member of the Bullard Family, is a moderate 3/4 mile trail that traverses sand and boardwalks through a dune ecosystem and seasonal wetlands.  Additionally, there is parking in the day use portion of the park that offers immediate access to the beach over a small foredune. 

Where is the closest restaurant, fuel station, or grocery store?

Bullards Beach is located 2 miles north of Bandon, Oregon.  Bandon offers a variety of amenities, incuding grocery stores, restaurants, and gas stations.

When are the docks available for use at the boat ramp?

Depending on conditions, the boat ramp docks are typically installed in late April and removed in late October.

About Camping

When is the campground open?

A Loop is open from just before Spring Break through the beginning of November.  B Loop is open from mid-May through mid-October.  C Loop is open year-round.

How many extra vehicles can I have in my campsite?

One primary motorized vehicle is included in the camping fee for each site.  Campers may have up to one additional vehicle in each site provided that the vehicle pays a $7.00 per night extra vehicle fee and vehicles are parked on a paved surface.  Only 1 RV is allowed per spot.  Extra vehicle parking is limited in the campground and there is no overnight overflow parking.

What are quiet hours and when are they in effect?

Quiet hours are a period of time during which campers are asked to keep noise contained to their own  campsite to provide a peaceful and enjoyable camping experience for all park guests.  Quiet hours begin at 10pm and remain in effect until 7am.

Does Bullards Beach have wi-fi?

No. However, the town of Bandon has multiple locations that offer free wi-fi.

Are there walk-in sites or do I need reservations?

From mid-May through early November, all sites are open to reservations.  During this time sites without reservations are available on a first-come first-serve basis for one night at a time. However, due to the popularity of this campground it is strongly advised that visitors make reservations.  From early November through mid-May, a select few sites (C48-C64) are held for walk-ins only. Reservations are still recommended whenever possible to ensure a site is available.

I noticed that all of the campsites at Bullards Beach have at least water and electricity. If I'm not going to use these ammenities, do I still have to pay full price?

Yes.  The use fees for campsites in Oregon State Parks are determined by ammenities available within the site, not ammenities used. 

Where can I wash my boat?

At this time Bullards Beach State Park does not have boat washing facilities.  There are however multiple options located in Bandon, which is 2 miles south of the park.

What's Allowed

Is metal detecting allowed at Bullards Beach?

No.  However, metal detecting is permitted on the beach in front of the park.  The beach is defined as open sand west of the vegetation line on the foredune.

Are drones allowed at Bullards Beach State Park and nearby ocean side parks?

Commercial and recreational use of radio controlled aircraft, unmanned aircraft - "drones", quad-copters' and similar are prohibited at Bullards Beach State Park and other management unit ocean side parks including Bandon State Natural Area, Seven Devils State Recreation Area, and Face Rock State Scenic Viewpoint.
This is a safety effort to control hazards that could negatively affect other visitors or protected wildlife.

Is crabbing and fishing allowed from the Bullards Beach boat docks?

Beginning in Spring of 2017, crabbing and fishing will no longer be allowed from the Bullards Beach boat docks.  This change comes with the installation of new boat docks funded through the Oregon State Marine Board. Boat docks funded by the Oregon State Marine Board are restricted to boat use only. Recreational crabbing and fishing can be done from the public docks located in the Bandon harbor.


Does Bullards Beach offer pet-friendly Yurts?

Yes.  Bullards Beach currently offers six pet friendly yurts (C11, C25, C29, C, E, and F).  For an additional $10.00 fee, visitors may stay with up to two pets in these yurts.  Pets are prohibited in all other facilities.

Is my service animal welcome in all buildings?

Yes. Service animals are permitted in all areas where campers are allowed. In keeping with the Americans with Disabilities Act, a service animal is defined as a dog that is trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability. (Providing emotional support or deterring crime are not considered qualifying tasks.) Except under special conditions, service animals must also be restrained while in state parks.

What should I do if I see a seal pup on the beach?

Harbor seal pups are often found on the beach. Usually, they are not stranded and should not be disturbed. They are resting while their mothers are off looking for food.
The Oregon Marine Mammal Stranding Network (OMMSN), which responds to stranded and injured marine mammals, notes that "adult female seals are shy and a mother is unlikely to rejoin a pup if there is activity nearby. She may only return to suckle her pup at night when people are not around. It is very important not to interfere with this process, and especially not to move a pup from where it is receiving care from its mother. Within 3-4 weeks of birth, harbor seal pups are weaned from maternal care and are left to fend for themselves. While learning to find and catch its own food, a young seal may come ashore frequently to rest. This is often a very challenging stage of life, and not all pups survive. But while it may be tempting to 'take them in,' their best chance for survival is to be left alone on the beach."
If you are concerned about the welfare of a seal pup or any other marine mammal you encounter, report it to park staff, the park office (541-347-2209 ext 221), or the 24-hour Oregon State Police hotline at 800-452-7888. Please describe the situation and location of the animal so the OMMSN can follow-up on your concerns.
For more information, please check out the OMMSN website and their link to Stranding Dos and Don’ts.

Day use/Special Events

What are the hours for the day use area?

The day use portion of Bullards Beach is open to the public from dawn to dusk.  Dawn is defined as 30 minutes prior to sunrise while dusk is defined as 30 minutes after sunset.

Is there a fee for the day use portion of the park?

Bullards Beach does not charge a day use fee. 

I want to have an event or wedding in a park or on the beach. What do I need to do?

It depends. Call the Park Office at 541-347-2209  x 221 to discuss your plans and possible permits, fees or insurance requirements. Events on the beach are first-come, first-served. Depending on the event, you may need a special use permit for non-traditional activities. A non-traditional activity is an activity, gathering or use of park properties, ocean shore or other recreational area that is not defined in park area rules and regulations. Some examples of events that require a permit are:

  • organized group gatherings of 50 or much such as weddings, company picnics, tournaments, and contests;
  • an activity that requires setting up a structure and/or decorations such as a stage, event tents, archways, tables/chairs;
  • sales of good and services by vendors, concessionaires, and other businesses;
  • commercial filming;
  • educational and scientfic projects;
  • activities that restrict public access.


Statewide FAQ

Available via this link