COVID-19: For the latest information on COVID-19 in Oregon, visit the Oregon Health Authority. Interested in how we’re handling COVID-19 in Oregon State Parks? For the latest updates, visit our Frequently Asked Questions web page.

Smith Rock State Park

Park History

The park was obtained between 1960 and 1975 by purchase and gifts of land from the city of Redmond and Harry and Diane Kem. Many believe that Smith Rock is named in honor of John Smith a Linn County lawman or Pvt. Volk Smith a soldier who fell to his death in the park during a battle with the Northern Paiute in 1863. The Debate Continues...


Acreage: 651.68

Annual overnight attendance: 23,816

Annual day-use attendance: 776,632

Smith Rock State Park FAQ


Do I need a permit to film or photograph commercially?

Permits are often required for commercial filming and photography. Please contact the park manager at 541-548-7501 to determine if you will need a permit.

I need a guide or have specific climbing related questions. Who should I ask?

Their are many climbing outfitter/guide services that operate at Smith Rock. An internet search or phone book reference will provide contact information. Park Staff does not provide referrals or specific climbing information.

About Camping

What is the cost to tent camp at the park?

Camping permits are available at the fee station located at the entrance to the Bivouac camping area. Camping fees are $8.00 per person per night.

Are campfires allowed in the campground?

Camp fires are not permitted year round due to the dry high desert climate at the park.

Are you allowed to sleep in your vehicle?

County rules prohibit sleeping in your vehicle at Smith Rock State Park.

Where is the nearest campground that allows RVs and sleeping in your vehicle?

USFS Skull Hollow Campground

Located NE of Smith Rock State Park on Lone Pine Road

Open Seasonally - No Reservations - Fee Campground - No Drinking Water

28 Standard Campsites

Can I make a reservation for camping?

No, camping is on a  first come first serve basis only.

What's Allowed

Are there any climbing closures in effect?

Climbing route closures for the protection of nesting birds of prey are common at Smith Rock but typically affect lesser used climbing areas. Please look for posted closures on informational kiosks in the park and for signs at the closure sites.

Day use/Special Events

What hours is the park's day use area open?

The Park is open from dawn to dusk (30 minutes prior to sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset).

After dusk, use of park day use facilities or property is prohibited.

Some (not all) reasons/concerns for the enforcement of this existing rule:
a. Illegal camping including illegal campfires in high fire season.
b. Lack of park staff and resources to manage the use.
c. Limited emergency response resources.

Where can I buy an Oregon State Parks Annual Pass

12 month and 24 month Annual passes are sold at the park's Welcome Center during scheduled hours of operation (hours vary). Annual passes are also available at Terrebonne Thriftway in Terrebonne, or online at

I want to have a wedding or other event at the park. Do I need a permit?

Permits are often required for special events. Please contact the Park Manager or Park Ranger at 541-548-7501 to see if you will need a permit.

What hours is the Welcome Center open?

The Welcome Center hours are posted at the park monthly and vary depending on visitation levels, holidays, events and available volunteer staffing.

Statewide FAQ

Available via this link