Wallowa Lake State Park

Park History

Wallowa Lake State Park was created to provide public access to the lake and the pleasant forested area at the inlet of the Wallowa River. The original 165 acres along the Wallowa Lake shore was acquired between 1941 and 1954.

Trees present are cottonwood, ponderosa pine, Douglas fir, with some western larch and grand fir.  It is extensively developed for both day use and overnight camping.  The park is popular with anglers, hikers, swimmers and boaters.

Wallowa Lake is a glacial lake at the base of the heavily glaciated Wallowa Mountains. This range is in the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest and includes the renowned Eagle Cap Wilderness.  Wallowa Lake State Park is a base from which visitors can explore the mountain country and the approaches to the Hells Canyon National Recreation Area on the Snake River.

Acreage: 216.48

Annual overnight attendance: 83,783

Annual day-use attendance: 434,482

Wallowa Lake State Park FAQ


Do you have wi-fi at the park?

Wi-fi is not available through Wallowa Lake State Park.  However, many local merchants and public libraries have the service. Wallowa Lake Marina may have wi-fi and you would need to contact them during the summer season.


Does the park have boat moorage slips that I can reserve?
  • Wallowa Lake State Park does not handle the boat slip reservations any longer. 
  • Wallowa Lake Marina, Inc is taking care of boat slip reservations.  You can reach them at wallowalakemarina.com or during summer season you may call 541-432-9115. 
Is there a place to purchase a fishing license in the park?
  • The park has a concessionaire at the Marina on the lake and they may have fishing license, supplies and equipment available.
  • Contact Wallowa Lake Marina, Inc. for store hours at wallowalakemarina.com.  You may also reach them at 541-432-9115 during their summer season usually mid-May - mid-September.
Where can I swim?

The lakes and rivers found within Oregon State Parks are open to unsupervised swimming. You are responsible for your own safety. Before you enter the water, you should judge your swimming skills against possible strong currents, cold water, underwater objects and steep drop-offs. Remember, that many of our natural bodies of water and man-made reservoirs are filled by snow runoff and remain cold year round. Please bring and wear a personal flotation device and swim with a buddy.

About Camping

How many vehicles can park at my campsite? How many people can stay at my campsite?
  • One vehicle per site is allowed which is included with the site registration fee.
  • Park staff may allow an additional vehicle at site if the site can accommodate it.  See: What's an extra vehicle?
  • All vehicles must park within the designated parking boundaries of the site.  
  • A maximum of eight people are allowed per site.
What's an extra vehicle?
  • An extra vehicle is any additional vehicle driven into the park that stays on park property between the hours of 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. and is subject to $7 per night fees. 
  • Vehicles legally towed into the park behind another vehicle or RV are considered one unit and there will be no charge.
  • Campers arriving on motorcycles are allowed two motorcycles which are included in the campsite fees. The $7 extra vehicle fee applies to a third motorcycle, a fourth motorcycle would be free. 

Remember: A maximum of eight people are allowed per site. 

What are the campsite types and how are they equipped?

Wallowa Lake State Park has five site types.

  • Hookup sites – sewer, electricity and water; paved parking area adjacent to site.
  • Tent sites – no utilities, but water at or near the site; paved parking adjacent to site. Many tent sites cannot accommodate RVs. 
  • Hiker-biker sites – no utilities; shared area set aside for people who are traveling by bicycle or walking. People traveling with vehicles do not qualify for this site type. 
  • Group Tent sites- water available; tent camping only for up to 25 people maximum.  Six vehicles allowed. One small RV may be allowed as a cooking unit but counts as one of the six vehicles and must be self-contained.
  • Yurt sites- Hard sided buildings that sleep 5 people.  Visitors must bring own bedding, camping supplies and equipment.  No smoking, cooking, candles or pets allowed inside the yurts. The Park has Yurt 18 as a Pet Friendly yurt.  Each yurt is heated and includes a couch that makes down into a double bed and bunk bed with double bed on the bottom and single on top.  Yurts have a covered porch area with picnic table and a second picnic table near the fire pit.  No RVs allowed at site.

Each campsite has a picnic table and fire ring.  Occupants of any site type have access to showers.

How long are the sites?
  • Many Wallowa Lake State Park sites can accommodate RVs up to 50 feet in length.  Please read site alerts to make sure the site will accommodate your camping equipment.
  • Please call the Park at 541-432-4185 if you have concerns about your RV length or parking in the park.  

Remember that you must also be able to fit your tow vehicle onto the campsite. Let’s say your camp trailer is 25 feet long and you’re towing it with a 22-foot vehicle. You will need a site at least 47 feet long. If the towing vehicle does not fit in the site's designated parking boundary, it will have to park in the day use area.

When is the park open to visitors?
  • Wallowa Lake State Park is open year-round with a heated restroom/shower building during winter months. 
  • Water will not be available October through mid-May except at a designated restroom building.
  • Posted day use hours, generally following daylight hours, are in each of the day use areas. 

Note: Restrooms are available in the Group Camp Area behind sites D21-D22 during the winter season.  All other restrooms are closed.  Frost Free water spigot available at D17 for drinking water or filling tanks.

Where can I build a campfire?
  • Campfires are allowed only in park-provided fire pits and must be put out if you leave the immediate area.

Fires may be restricted or prohibited due to high fire hazard conditions.

Does the park sell firewood? If so, what are the hours and where?
  • Wallowa Lake State Park does sell firewood located between sites C1 and C4.  . 
  • Summer Hours: 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.  Winter Hours: Please check wood shed for availability & how to pay or contact a park staff member to help you. 
  • Price: $5 per 2 cubic feet. Wood can be purchased at the Registration Booth or pay at the wood shed.
  • Fires may be restricted or prohibited due to high fire hazard conditions.
  • Please protect the Pacific Northwest from invasive species by obtaining or purchasing your firewood at or near your camping destination. Firewood can carry insects and diseases that threaten the health of our western forests. You can make a difference by buying and burning your firewood locally. For more information, visit dontmovefirewood.org.


What do I do with my garbage?
  • Wallowa Lake State Park has many dumpsters around the camp loops. Please talk with Park staff to help you find the nearest one.  Most are listed on the park map but we add more during heavy use when needed.
  • Dumpsters are for park generated garbage only.  Home garbage is not allowed.
  • Please use the dumpsters for all trash.  Do not burn or leave garbage in the fire pits, it is for firewood only.

Under OAR 736-010-0040 (6) A person shall leave garbage, recyclables, sewage or waste in a park area only in the designated containers provided. 


Cloth Wipes and drain or septic system

PLEASE DO NOT PUT WIPES OF ANY KIND INTO THE DRAINS OR SEPTIC SYSTEM.  We highly recommend that you put all wipes in the garbage waste bins.  The park system is gravity flow and cannot handle the wipes causing the system to back up into the sites.  We appreciate your help in keeping the drain lines flowing.

What's Allowed

What about hunting?
  • A person may not hunt, pursue, trap, kill, injure or molest any wildlife or disturb their habitats on any park property. 
  • Wallowa Lake State Park does not allow discharge of any firearm, bow and arrow, slingshot, pellet gun, or other weapon capable of injuring humans or wildlife or damaging park property.  
Can I use my metal detector on state park property?
  • Paid visitors occupying and staying in a camp site between the dates of October 1 and April 30th  may use a metal detector in the overnight camping area only which includes; Loops A, B, C, D, E and the Group Camp area.  
  • No permit is required, but you must carry your paid camping receipt as proof of eligibility.   
I want to have an event at the park. What do I need to do?

Call the park to discuss your plans, possible permits, fees and insurance requirements. Depending on the event, you may need a special use permit for non-traditional activities.

A non-traditional activity is an activity, gathering or use of park properties, or recreational area that is not defined in park area rules and regulations. Some examples are:

  • group gatherings such as weddings, company picnics, tournaments, and contests;
  • commercial filming;
  • short/long-term rental of property and structures;
  • construction activities and placement of utilities;
  • educational and scientific projects;
  • sales of goods and services by vendors, concessionaires and other businesses.
Smoking: Can I smoke in the Park?
  • Smoking is prohibited on state park property including the day use areas with the exception to the following:
    • Smoking inside personal vehicles
    • Designated campsite in the developed overnight camping areas.
Generator: Can I use a generator at Wallowa Lake State Park?

• Generators are allowed between the hours of 8 a.m. and 6 p.m..
• Park staff may ask campers to shut off generators due to exhaust or decibels.
• Please be considerate of your neighbors.


Can I bring pets to the park? What about horses?
  • Yes, pets must be confined by the owner or on a leash not more than six feet long, and kept under physical control at all times. Horses are not considered pets.
  • You are responsible to pick up after your pets and to keep them quiet at all times. 
  • The park does have an off-leash area for pets at the bottom of A loop near the Marina parking area. 
  • Pets are not allowed in the swim area, buildings or structures. 
  • Horses are not allowed on Wallowa Lake State Park property.
  • Wallowa Lake State Park does have one Pet Friendly Yurt (18). Pets are prohibited in the other yurt.
Are there deer in the park? Are they dangerous?
  • It is PROHIBITED to feed or come in contact with the deer in the park. DO NOT leave food out at your site for the deer to get into.  Take all GARBAGE TO THE DUMPSTERS. You CAN be cited if you do not obey these rules.
  • Yes, there are deer in the park.  Most of the deer in the park are Mule Deer and get their name because of their large mule like ears.
  • Are these deer tame?  No, these deer are not tame.  The deer are WILD but are no longer afraid of humans and can be dangerous.
  • Do not leave your pets tied up outside alone.  If attacked by deer, they will not have the ability to get away from them and could be seriously injured.
  • The deer may seem friendly and this causes visitors to let their guard down.  Wildlife is wild and unpredictable. 
  • In the spring, there are does (female deer) with their baby fawns and may attack to protect their young.  In the fall, it is mating season and the bucks (male deer) can become quite aggressive towards other deer and even humans.
  • Please use caution and stay back.  Take pictures from afar. 

Under OAR 738-010-0055 (6) and (7) it is a Class D Violation to give or offer food items to any wildlife or come in contact with any wildlife within a park area. 


Who gets discounts?
  • Active-duty military on leave, veterans with service-connected disabilities, Foster Parents of Oregon foster children and Adoptive Foster parents (children below 18 years of age) are eligible for discounts.  Oregon State Parks and Recreation does not have special rates for any other demographic group, such as seniors.
  • The qualifying person for the Special Access Pass must be physically present and show proper I.D. and the Special Access Pass to Park staff to receive discount.  These discounts are not transferable and may not be used by anyone other than the person who the Special Access Pass is for.

Statewide FAQ

Available via this link