Dabney State Recreation Area

Park History

The park was acquired between 1945 and 1968 through gift and purchase. The first tract was a gift from Multnomah County in 1945. Dabney Park was originally owned by Richard T. Dabney and his wife Martha. The Dabneys came to Oregon in 1887 and prospered from their investments in timber and real estate. Richard Dabney was an enthusiastic promoter of the Columbia River Highway and proposed a large hotel at Crown Point. Nothing came of the hotel, but the Dabneys maintained a summer house at the park site until his death in 1916.

Acreage: 134.96

Annual day-use attendance: 201,806

Dabney State Recreation Area FAQ


Did you know that in 2012 our park participated in customer surveys?

According to a 2012 survey of park visitors:

95% of our customers describe being "very satisfied" or "satisfied" with their overall experience at Dabney State Recreation Area.

94% of our customers reported that they were either "very likely" or "likely" to return to Dabney State Recreation Area in the future.

One customer commented, "We love Dabney! No litter and clean bathrooms and clean river and the beach is very important. I support measures to take care of parks."

How do I pay my day use fee?

To pay day use fee, you can use cash or check at the booth, but please be aware that if the booth is closed our Fee Machine takes credit cards ONLY.

How do I reserve the picnic shelter?

Reservations may be made 1 day to 9 months ahead of time.  The picnic shelter at Dabney State Park is reservable through online reservations (available 365 days a year, opening at midnight every day)  or by calling (800) 452-5687 (Oregon Telecommunications Relay Service 800-735-2900 for the hearing impaired), Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

What's Allowed

Can I fly my drone in the park?

Please call 503-695-2261 for park specific rules

Can I metal detect?

No metal detecting is permitted in West Columbia River Gorge State Parks


Can I bring my pet?

Sorry, No pets are allowed at Dabney State Recreation Area.

Day use/Special Events

How do I get a Special Use Permit?

This park requires a Special Use Permit for special events or activities. Please open the Special Use Permit application to see examples of events that need a permit.  If you have questions about whether you need a special use permit for your activity and to receive instructions on how to submit the application, please call 503-695-2261.

Statewide FAQ

Available via this link