Bates is an ideal base camp for the outdoor enthusiast. The campground sits between three nearby Wilderness Areas: Strawberry Mountain and Monument Rock to the south and North Fork John Day River to the north. The campground is also convenient to the Old West Scenic Bikeway. Bates is a primitive 28 site campground with a day use shelter and many trails.
The host site at Bates is Site #1, a full hook-up site with sewer. Campground host duties include:
· Assisting visitors with registration, answering questions
· Re-stocking paper supplies in restrooms
· Clean restrooms on staff days off
· Some mowing and irrigation duties
· Special project assisting park staff
Please note: There is no Wifi service and very little cell phone reception at the park. You may access Wifi and cell service at Austin Junction which is approximately 1 mile south of the park.