|Day Use:||Year Round|
Acquired between 1922 and 1985, the park -- the first state park in Oregon -- includes the first land given to the Oregon State Highway Commission for park purposes. Sarah Helmick and her son, James, gave 5.46 acres to the state in 1922. William and Mary Weist gave a small tract in 1948. In 1984 and 1985 Peter and Maryle Larson gave another portion. In addition to these gifts, there were two land purchases including 23.65 acres which were formerly part of the artillery range for Camp Adair used during World War II. The park was named for the donor, Sarah Helmick, who, with her husband, Henry, settled a 640-acre Donation Land Claim on the Luckiamute River in 1846. They had come to Oregon in 1845 over the Oregon Trail from Burlington, Iowa.
Annual day-use attendance: 73,848