|Day Use:||Year Round|
The park was given to the state in 1932 by L. J. and Lela Simpson, Coos County and the Cape Arago Park Commission. The original developments were carried out by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s, few of which remain. Originally named Cape Gregory by the English navigator James Cook and honoring the saint on the day of sighting, March 12, 1778. Since the US Coast Survey of 1850, it has been called Cape Arago for Dominique F. J. Arago, French physicist and geographer. In the 1970s, a theory was posed that English privateer and explorer Sir Francis Drake anchored in the south cove of Cape Arago in June 1579. Followers of this theory believe Drake mistook the dune area between the Coos and Siuslaw Rivers for low, snow-covered hills and sailed down the coast to California, having abandoned hope of discovering a northwest passage back to England. A monument to Drake was placed in the park in 1977.
Annual day-use attendance: 339,056
Cape Arago State Park FAQ
Commercial and recreational use of radio controlled aircraft, unmanned aircraft - "drones", quad-copters' and similar are prohibited at Cape Arago, Shore Acres, Sunset Bay, and Norton Gulch.
This is a safety effort to control hazards that could negatively affect other visitors or protected wildlife.