|Day Use:||Year Round|
|Park:||Park business line: 541-469-2021|
The land for this park was acquired mostly between 1949 and 1957 by purchase from private owners and the U. S. Bureau of Land Management. In 1950, Borax Consolidated, Ltd., of London, England, gave 304.10 acres for the park and 62.90 acres for right-of-way on the relocated Oregon Coast Highway. Many of the tracts had arrangements for the removal of timber and some for sheep grazing. Samuel H. Boardman (1874-1953), the first Oregon State Parks superintendent, served from 1929 to 1950. He conceived the idea of a great coastal park in Curry County and worked tirelessly to acquire the present park lands. In the early 1940s, Boardman approached U. S. Department of the Interior Secretary Harold L. Ickes with a proposal for an extensive National Park area along the Curry County coastline. Though federal officials toured the region, the coastal National Park idea did not take hold. This state park, the nugget of Boardman's proposal, was named in tribute to the founding superintendent at the time of his retirement. A commemorative monument was dedicated at House Rock View Point on August 7, 1970.
Annual day-use attendance: 814,998