|Day Use:||Year Round|
Lands were acquired between 1932 and 1978 by gift and purchase from private owners and the federal government. The original tract of 451 acres was acquired in 1932 by gift and purchase from the Ecola Point and Indian Beach Corporation with corporation members Rodney Glisan, Florence Minott, Caroline and Louise Flanders donating their portion. This land includes much of the ocean frontage in the park, extending from the northern edge of the city of Cannon Beach to Indian Beach. Later, lands were acquired to the north of Tillamook Head extending toward Seaside, providing a route for the Tillamook Head trail. Samuel Boardman, Henry Van Duzer and others worked hard to acquire this park land for Oregon in the 1930s and 1940s. Sam Boardman stressed the importance of acquiring a wider strip of land to protect the shoreline forest from wind damage and other threats. Some lands were purchased from Crown Zellerbach Corporation after being logged, and the World War II Army radar station tract on Tillamook Head was acquired under Chester. Armstrong's direction in 1952. The donation of the Elmer Feldenheimer Forest Reserve adjoining the northeast portion of the park aids in park protection from the elements. Ecola Park contains examples of old growth Sitka spruce, western hemlock and habitat for elk and deer. Here, in 1806, Captain William Clark of the Lewis and Clark Expedition viewed burial canoes of the Kilamox (Tillamook) and, looking south from Tillamook Head, he described the view as the "grandest and most pleasing prospect" he had ever surveyed. Ecola Park was developed originally by the CCC under National Park Service direction between 1934 and 1941. Improvements included roads, picnic facilities, trails, the office, workshop and caretaker's house. In the early 1950s, a campground was developed at Ecola in the wave of enthusiasm which came with post-war development of the Oregon state parks. The camp was abandoned in 1954 as inappropriate to the setting. Some of the shallow soils on steep slopes at Ecola Park are subject to rapid erosion following heavy rains. In 1961, a landslide at Ecola Point damaged 125 acres and caused the park to be closed for 10 months. Other slides have been a problem at Bald Point and between Ecola and Chapman Points. The latter affects the park entrance road. A slide here closed the park for four months in 1975. Within Ecola Park is a National Recreation Trail dedicated in April, 1972. This is the Tillamook Head Trail extending six miles from Seaside to Cannon Beach. Tillamook Head is a high point on the trail between Seaside and Indian Beach. It is named for the Tillamook tribes in whose ancestral territory the headland is located. The trail follows the coastal exploration route used by Captain Clark in the winter of 1806.
Annual day-use attendance: 313,808
Ecola State Park FAQ
The road that leads up to Ecola is very tight and has many turns, motorhomes and trucks pulling trailers are not recommended.
Due to natural erosion and landslides the Ecola Point Viewing Deck was no longer on stable ground and had to be removed.
Yes. Pets must be on a leash not more than six feet long, and kept under physical control at all times. You're responsible to pick up after your pets.
The Hiker's Camp provides an overnight stop for those hiking the Oregon Coast Trail. The camping area is primitive in nature, but does have three small Adirondack-style shelters. Each of these rustic structures sleeps four on bunk bed-style wooden platforms. The shelters encircle a large fire ring and a central picnic shelter. A vault toilet is nearby, but the camp does not have water. Please remember there is no overnight parking within Ecola State Park.
Day use/Special Events
Please be aware that overnight parking is not allowed at Ecola State Park for Hiker's Camp. Hiker's Camp provides an overnight stop for those hiking the Oregon Coast Trail.