Volunteers are motivated by many, many things, but ultimately, most volunteers want to be part of something they value. Here are some other reasons we often hear:
- Repay or “give back” to a park system you’ve enjoyed and benefitted from over the years.
- Stay in a park and experience a behind-the-scenes look at what we do and work alongside park rangers to welcome visitors and make a difference.
- Play and have fun in a new area,and stay active in Oregon’s beautiful parks all around the state.
- Pay it forward and become part of the stories and traditions. Through your service, you are able to make a personal mark on the landscape and preserve parks for future generations.
Benefits of volunteering
Along with the praise and thanks from staff and visitors, here are some of the benefits you can enjoy at many of the parks:
- Develop new skills
- Specialized training
- Appreciation events
- Tokens of recognition – magnets, pins, patches, cinch bags or similar fun OPRD collectibles!
- Cool clothes… some volunteer positions wear official uniform attire.
Ways to volunteer
- We have tons of possibilities! You can volunteer as an individual, part of a group, with your family—whatever works best for you. And you can spend as much or as little time as you want. We will try to match you to the location and opportunity of your choice.
- Become a volunteer Park Host and help greet visitors, keep campgrounds clean and extend our customer service with a friendly smile. In return for your efforts, you'll receive a free campsite and enjoy the gorgeous scenery!
- Become a Youth Ambassador, visiting parks and taking photos and blogging about your fun recreational adventures.
- Join our growing network of volunteer partners! Public/private partnerships help us work more efficiently and collaborate with neighbors and businesses in our Oregon communities. Volunteers support our various partners - partners in turn, support projects in state parks across the state. You can become an Adopt-a-Park partner and assist us with the maintenance and operation of your favorite park. Or you can join one of our 14 non-profit Cooperative Associations whose efforts raise awareness and appreciation for the protection and preservation of these beautiful, diverse properties.
How to apply: Complete a Volunteer Application
- When you apply, describe your education, background and skills, but especially let us know of your interests. Each park has unique needs throughout the year and looks for a variety of volunteers. The more thoroughly you describe your experience, skills and abilities, the better match we can make.
- Regardless of your prior experience or skills, park staff can nearly always find a job that suits you. While much of what we do is naturally outdoors and gives you an opportunity to “get your hands dirty,” we also have positions to help with administration, customer service and planning special events.
You can search for volunteer opportunities here.
You can use the link to feedback on this website, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call toll free 1-877-225-9803.